US immigration forum
The Home of US Family Based Immigration Resources.
Thank you for visiting. This is our website archive. Please visit our main website by clicking the banner above.
familybasedimmigration.com is dedicated in bringing you the resources you will need to research your immigration process. Fiance(e), Spouse and Immediate Family Visas - Green Card.

When and where to file I-864 and DS-230

Bishop1892
09-16-12, 10:20 AM
Hello

I'm the principal applicant/beneficiary and based in Taiwan. My aunt is my agent, she's in the US.

I asked for a status update from the NVC and got an E-Mail saying that they've received the fees for the Affidavit of Support and the Immigration processing fee and told us to follow the 2 links below and fill out the appropriate forms (I-864/I-864P and DS-230) which we've done.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3197.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

This is the part where I'm getting conflicting reports. Does she file it for me in the US or do I file both the I-864 and DS-230 here in Taiwan. Do I file these now because I've been told that immigration will tell me when to file these in so we can formally start the process (police background checks, health checks etc.)

Thanks for the help.

Raven
09-16-12, 09:52 PM
You need to read the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages a bit more carefully. The DS-230, its supporting documents (with the exception of the medical exam forms), and the I-864 and its supporting documents, are to be sent to the NVC.

Bishop1892
09-17-12, 12:46 PM
I've been told that you need to print out the barcode sheet and mail the necessary documents to the address on the sheet. But then I go the the immigration website HERE (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1 a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM1000004 8f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM1000 0045f3d6a1RCRD) and at the bottom says

Note on Where to File: Give the completed affidavit of support with all required documentation to the sponsored immigrant to file with either:

a Consular Officer with a completed Form OF-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, or
an Immigration Officer with a completed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

It basically says that my aunt needs to mail the stuff to me and have me file it here in Taiwan. Are both these methods legit and are there to give people more options or is one method incorrect.

Also do I have to wait for them to give me a green light to file the I-864 or because since the payment has gone though I can start mailing stuff in.

Noorah202
09-17-12, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you're looking at some outdated material on the USCIS website.

NVC will request the documents from you. I believe you are correct in that they will send a barcoded sheet, after payment is submitted.

You can't take the documents to the embassy...the case will not progress past NVC if you don't return what NVC asks for.

Rene

Raven
09-17-12, 01:35 PM
I've been told that you need to print out the barcode sheet and mail the necessary documents to the address on the sheet. But then I go the the immigration website HERE (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1 a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM1000004 8f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM1000 0045f3d6a1RCRD) and at the bottom says

Note on Where to File: Give the completed affidavit of support with all required documentation to the sponsored immigrant to file with either:

a Consular Officer with a completed Form OF-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, or
an Immigration Officer with a completed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

USCIS is not the best place to get information about visa application processing by Consular Services. (and vice versa) See the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov

Raven
09-17-12, 01:36 PM
I believe you are correct in that they will send a barcoded sheet, after payment is submitted.

I don't think the NVC sends the barcoded cover sheets - a person has to go to the web site, find the sheets, and print them out.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum