Effective November 23rd 2010 - USCIS Fee Increases and Fee Reductions. - Please see HERE                  Fact Sheet - New USCIS.gov Features Improve Customer Service - Please see HERE                  Current - Revised Filing Instructions for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative - Please see HERE                  Beginning Aug. 3, 2010 - Change of Filing Location for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) - Please see HERE                  June 2010 - USCIS Seeks Public Comment on Proposal to Adjust Fees for Immigration Benefits: Fact Sheet - Please see HERE and also Questions & Answers                  Audio CD of the Redesigned U.S. Naturalization Test - Please see Citizenship Tools                  Effective Jan. 22, 2009 - USCIS Revised Direct Mail Program for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) See HERE                  Update: Biometric Changes For Re-entry Permits - Effective March 5, 2008 - See HERE                  New Filing Instructions Form I-130 Effective Immediately - USCIS Update January 18, 2008 - See HERE                  HUGE!! Naturalization Delay Ruling - February 8, 2008... See HERE                  Receipt Delays - Questions and Answers from USCIS - Updated February 16, 2008... See HERE                  How Is It Working For You? The CIS Ombudsman’s Community Call-In Teleconference Series - Upcoming Teleconferences See HERE                  Visa Fee Increase Effective January 1, 2008 - See HERE                  Resubmission After Erroneous Rejection for Improper Fees - How to? See HERE                  One to watch - Bill introduced Jan 4, 2007 - H.R. 78: American Child Support Enforcement Immigration Act of 2006. Read more HERE                
Family Based Immigration Forums
Tax transcripts from the IRS are fast, free and available with a simple phonecall. They are also preferred for immigration submissions.
Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040 and order multiple years with one call.

Please click the green todays tip button to read all our tips for the petition, visa, and immigration processes

Welcome to the Family Based Immigration Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to all our features. By joining our friendly, free community you will have access to post questions, share immigration experiences, as well as access to many other features such as the Search function, recent posts, chat, etc. We are a community built on experiences, so please share yours so others can benefit from them now and in the future. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today by Registering here.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NOTICE TO THOSE REGISTERING ONLY TO SPAM AND/OR ADD LINKS: Whilst I understand the need for links to your websites, please don't waste your time and energy here. This website is set up so there is nowhere to place links in profiles. Members must also have a designated amount of posts before being able to use signatures or the private msg or email system, so you can't use those either for your links. Spam posts are removed immediately. We run a tight ship :)

Downloads & Example Forms Guides & Flowcharts What Is...? Sample Documents Citizenship Tools
Go Back   Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card
Forgotten your Password?
Register Mark Forums Read

Phone cards with the best rates and quality

I-485 - Parents green card interview

Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Old 12-20-10, 03:32 PM   #1

Residence: USA
Consulate: N/A
Filed for: AOS / I-130

Filed with: CSC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 0
Thumbs Up 0 Times in 0 Posts
I-485 - Parents green card interview

I applied green card for my parents and they just received letter regarding their interview at San Jose office next month. can anyone who had similar experiences share the interview process/questions with me? I talked with some friends and their parents never got interview when they applied green card. Did my parents do something wrong?

Also, my parents used visitor visa to get into USA, will the interview officer have their non-immigration visa application information?

Thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 12-20-10, 03:52 PM   #2
Diamond Member

Consulate: London
Filed for: Naturalization

Filed with: Local Office

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 1,093
Thumbs Up 1,263 Times in 903 Posts
'Some of your friends' may have been in a different situation than your parents. Even if it somehow happened to be the exact same situation (between your friends and your parents), its luck of the draw as to who gets interviewed and who doesn't.

That said - going from a tourist visa to adjusting status, you could almost guarantee they would be interviewed. They're going to have to prove that they did not have immigrant intent when they entered on their tourist visas. I would expect USCIS to have all the information about the tourist visa at the interview. The reasons they gave for wanting the tourist visas are quite relevant now - your parents are going to have to prove that they did not intend to enter the US on the tourist visas and stay, as that would be fraud. The onus is on them to prove they never intended to stay.
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TracyTN For This Useful Post:
Noorah101 (12-20-10), Raven (12-21-10)

Old 12-21-10, 08:48 AM   #3
Diamond Member

Consulate: N/A
Filed for: Naturalization
Preference: N/A
Priority Date: N/A
Filed with: N/A

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 3,370
Thumbs Up 3,975 Times in 3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINGHEART View Post
I applied green card for my parents
No, you did not. Your parents applied to become Permanent Residents themselves. You may have helped them do it, but the applications are theirs alone.

If they are approved for Permanent Resident status they will be issued ID cards, aka green cards.

Quote:
and they just received letter regarding their interview at San Jose office next month. can anyone who had similar experiences share the interview process/questions with me?
The interviewer will go over the I-485 application forms, confirming or updating the information on it. The interviewer may (should) also seek to determine your parents intentions with respect to visiting v. immigrating at the time they entered the USA.

Quote:
I talked with some friends and their parents never got interview when they applied green card. Did my parents do something wrong?
Maybe. Did they intend to apply for adjustment of status when the entered the USA as visitors? If so, yes they did something wrong.

Quote:
Also, my parents used visitor visa to get into USA, will the interview officer have their non-immigration visa application information?
Don't know. That information resides with the US consulate overseas where the visa application was made. USCIS would have had to ask for the file to be sent over.

You can be sure that USCIS has information from CBP about the inspection when your parents entered the USA.

Raven
Chief Inspector, Profile Police
(who does not respond to PMs)
  Reply With Quote Top

Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1217 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.