Effective November 23rd 2010 - USCIS Fee Increases and Fee Reductions. - Please see HERE                  Fact Sheet - New USCIS.gov Features Improve Customer Service - Please see HERE                  Current - Revised Filing Instructions for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative - Please see HERE                  Beginning Aug. 3, 2010 - Change of Filing Location for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) - Please see HERE                  June 2010 - USCIS Seeks Public Comment on Proposal to Adjust Fees for Immigration Benefits: Fact Sheet - Please see HERE and also Questions & Answers                  Audio CD of the Redesigned U.S. Naturalization Test - Please see Citizenship Tools                  Effective Jan. 22, 2009 - USCIS Revised Direct Mail Program for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) See HERE                  Update: Biometric Changes For Re-entry Permits - Effective March 5, 2008 - See HERE                  New Filing Instructions Form I-130 Effective Immediately - USCIS Update January 18, 2008 - See HERE                  HUGE!! Naturalization Delay Ruling - February 8, 2008... See HERE                  Receipt Delays - Questions and Answers from USCIS - Updated February 16, 2008... See HERE                  How Is It Working For You? The CIS Ombudsman’s Community Call-In Teleconference Series - Upcoming Teleconferences See HERE                  Visa Fee Increase Effective January 1, 2008 - See HERE                  Resubmission After Erroneous Rejection for Improper Fees - How to? See HERE                  One to watch - Bill introduced Jan 4, 2007 - H.R. 78: American Child Support Enforcement Immigration Act of 2006. Read more HERE                
Family Based Immigration Forums
Tax transcripts from the IRS are fast, free and available with a simple phonecall. They are also preferred for immigration submissions.
Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040 and order multiple years with one call.

Please click the green todays tip button to read all our tips for the petition, visa, and immigration processes

Welcome to the Family Based Immigration Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to all our features. By joining our friendly, free community you will have access to post questions, share immigration experiences, as well as access to many other features such as the Search function, recent posts, chat, etc. We are a community built on experiences, so please share yours so others can benefit from them now and in the future. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today by Registering here.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NOTICE TO THOSE REGISTERING ONLY TO SPAM AND/OR ADD LINKS: Whilst I understand the need for links to your websites, please don't waste your time and energy here. This website is set up so there is nowhere to place links in profiles. Members must also have a designated amount of posts before being able to use signatures or the private msg or email system, so you can't use those either for your links. Spam posts are removed immediately. We run a tight ship :)

Downloads & Example Forms Guides & Flowcharts What Is...? Sample Documents Citizenship Tools
Go Back   Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card
Forgotten your Password?
Register Mark Forums Read

Phone cards with the best rates and quality

EAD - Cover letter for I-131??

Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Old 07-25-08, 12:58 PM   #1

Residence: USA
Consulate: USA
Filed for: AOS / I-130

Filed with: N/A

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 0
Thumbs Up 0 Times in 0 Posts
EAD - Cover letter for I-131??

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what to write on a cover letter for a work authorization?? Please any suggestions would be really appreciated!!

Thanks
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-25-08, 03:09 PM   #2
Diamond Member

Residence: usa
Consulate: none
Filed for: Other

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 479
Thumbs Up 1,457 Times in 987 Posts
I would not write a cover letter but would include a photocopy of my I-485.

CrisTina, all of these applications should be sent in together.. the I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-25-08, 04:10 PM   #3

Filed for: AOS / I-130

HI! Thanks for your reply! I am sending all the documents together, but I read somewhere that I should include a cover page for I-131. I am sending I-485 with the I-864, medical exam, I-131 and I-765. Do you think I should still make copies od the I-485 and attach it to the I-131 and I-765 section? I have the whole application for I-485 together fastened with ACCO fasteners.
Any advice? Thanks so mcuh for all your help Mixchel!!!
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-25-08, 05:48 PM   #4
Diamond Member

I-131 is the application for Advance Parole. I don't know what you'd put in a cover letter.. "Pleeeease"?
It's an automatic benefit; I've never heard of one being refused.

Are you following this guide and the suggestions for assembling the packet?
http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...-of-status.php
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-28-08, 07:16 AM   #5
Star Member

Consulate: Bangkok
Filed for: Naturalization

Filed with: NBC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 36
Thumbs Up 28 Times in 28 Posts
One thing to note is the following:

"If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or clip fasteners."

Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-28-08, 07:36 AM   #6
Diamond Member

Consulate: London

Filed with: Local Office

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 1,093
Thumbs Up 1,263 Times in 903 Posts
I guess I would consider all those forms part and parcel of one case. I thought that note meant if you were sending packets for two different immigrants.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-28-08, 07:41 AM   #7
Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyTN View Post
I guess I would consider all those forms part and parcel of one case. I thought that note meant if you were sending packets for two different immigrants.

Hmmm... now that you say that, I see your point. It does say "case", not "form".

Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-28-08, 09:25 AM   #8
Diamond Member

Consulate: N/A
Preference: N/A
Priority Date: N/A

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 3,370
Thumbs Up 3,975 Times in 3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roi_aggie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyTN View Post

Hmmm... now that you say that, I see your point. It does say "case", not "form".

Each application or petition is a separate 'case'. They will be adjudicated independently.

Raven
Chief Inspector, Profile Police
(who does not respond to PMs)
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-28-08, 11:52 AM   #9

Consulate: Guangzhou, China
Filed for: K-3

Filed with: CSC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 25
Thumbs Up 11 Times in 11 Posts
Hi ChrisTina,
Here is a link that will give you detailed instructions about filing your adjustment of status. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...age=i130guide2
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 09:17 AM   #10

Filed for: Undecided

Filed with: TSC

Easily Confused,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixchel View Post
I-131 is the application for Advance Parole. I don't know what you'd put in a cover letter.. "Pleeeease"?
It's an automatic benefit; I've never heard of one being refused.

Are you following this guide and the suggestions for assembling the packet?
http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...-of-status.php

We spoke to a lawyer to handle all the paperwork and when it came time to sign the contract it was more than three times the cost he said, over 7000.00.
I convinced my wife to marry me while she was visiting me on a tourist visa. she has been here for 2.5 months and we have been married for 2 weeks. The lawyer was going to file all the papers concurrently and I believe they are the one's mentioned in this post. We have no unusal circunmtances, she is still here on a valid I-94. Am I going in the right direction here, is there an expert that we can hire to help with the paperwork and frustration of being a newbie? Any calming words, advice encouragement or help would be so appreciated. My new bride is very worried now that we can't afford a lawyer, thank you Mike and Carolina.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 09:34 AM   #11
Diamond Member

Consulate: London

Filed with: Local Office

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 1,093
Thumbs Up 1,263 Times in 903 Posts
You can hire a lawyer to do your paperwork, sure. Just be prepared to fork out some $ for that priviledge.

Or you can have a consultation with one to make sure your case doesn't have any particular complications, then read up and research the process and file yourself.

Or you can remove the consultation from the above scenario and go it alone completely.

It's all about educating yourself on the process and doing things right. If you can't be bothered to do that, then you're probably better off hiring someone. Just make sure of the voracity of their 'expertise'.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 10:16 AM   #12

Thanks Tracy, We have pretty much decided to go on our own. I hope experienced folks like you can help field my questions as we procede. Thanks Again!
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 10:41 AM   #13
Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinasMan View Post
I convinced my wife to marry me while she was visiting me on a tourist visa.

That statement right there definitely concerns me, since this could be considered visa fraud by the USCIS. In order for someone to get a "Non-Immigrant" visa, they have to prove to a CO that they do not intend to immigrate to the US. If the purpose of the trip was to come here and get married, and stay, that is in direct violation of the intent of the NIV.

I have heard of people doing it, and wonder how they get away with it, but I have the feeling they used some legal aide to do it.

It means you would have to file an I-130 and I-485 concurrently, but coming up with the correct Eligibility Category on the I-485 is the tricky part.

I must advise caution if you persue this path.

Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 10:59 AM   #14
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
I convinced my wife to marry me while she was visiting me on a tourist visa.

That statement right there definitely concerns me, since this could be considered visa fraud by the USCIS. In order for someone to get a "Non-Immigrant" visa, they have to prove to a CO that they do not intend to immigrate to the US. If the purpose of the trip was to come here and get married, and stay, that is in direct violation of the intent of the NIV.

Two points with regard to the guy's statement:
1. There's no immigration problem whatsoever with the guy convincing his wife to marry him no matter when or where he did the convincing. It's quite all right for her to marry him while she was visiting the USA on a tourist visa.
2. He did not say that he also convinced his wife to stay in the USA and try to immigrate while she was visiting the USA on a tourist visa. But if he did that as well, that's also quite all right. The law allows a visitor to change their mind after entry and apply to immigrate on the basis of marriage to a USC. The problem is, how to demonstrate that the decision to immigrate came after entry and not before entry.

Raven
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 11:10 AM   #15
Star Member

It's the "while she was visiting me" part that concerned me, which seems to imply that she came to visit him on a tourist visa; THEN they got married. If she knew him before coming to visit him, that's where it would become difficult to explain. Correct?

Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 11:13 AM   #16
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's the "while she was visiting me" part that concerned me, which seems to imply that she came to visit him on a tourist visa; THEN they got married. If she knew him before coming to visit him, that's where it would become difficult to explain. Correct?

'while she was visiting' means after she got here, not before.

Again, marrying is not an issue. Deciding to immigrate is the issue.

Raven
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 11:20 AM   #17
Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Quote:

Understood. So the question now is: to go back to her country and file an I-130 or to try and adjust status while still here on a Non-Immigrant visa?

Which is the correct process?

Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 12:12 PM   #18
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Understood. So the question now is: to go back to her country and file an I-130 or to try and adjust status while still here on a Non-Immigrant visa?

Both are correct. Pick one.

Raven
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following Users Agree with this post and/or Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
paulNxenia (07-29-08)

Old 07-29-08, 12:46 PM   #19
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What?!
It's not for us to decide; none of us are lawyers. The OP met with a lawyer, discussed everything in private as relates to his case and took advice.

BOTH are the "correct" process.

Remember my good friend Yoda: There is no TRY, there is do and not do (my paraphrase).
If the applicant is the spouse of a US citizen, she is eligible to apply to adjust status.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-29-08, 12:59 PM   #20

Mixchel, you are corrrect. I had a total of 4 consults with a lawyer and her deciding to get married is not a problem as long as it is after she has arrived here. We had no intention of marriage at the time of her visit, but as time went on we did not want to seperate.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 07-30-08, 07:43 AM   #21
Star Member

Quote:
Mixchel, you are corrrect. I had a total of 4 consults with a lawyer and her deciding to get married is not a problem as long as it is after she has arrived here. We had no intention of marriage at the time of her visit, but as time went on we did not want to seperate.

Then it sounds like everything is good. Good luck in your journey!

Reply With Quote Top

Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2094 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.