Effective November 23rd 2010 - USCIS Fee Increases and Fee Reductions. - Please see HERE                  Fact Sheet - New USCIS.gov Features Improve Customer Service - Please see HERE                  Current - Revised Filing Instructions for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative - Please see HERE                  Beginning Aug. 3, 2010 - Change of Filing Location for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) - Please see HERE                  June 2010 - USCIS Seeks Public Comment on Proposal to Adjust Fees for Immigration Benefits: Fact Sheet - Please see HERE and also Questions & Answers                  Audio CD of the Redesigned U.S. Naturalization Test - Please see Citizenship Tools                  Effective Jan. 22, 2009 - USCIS Revised Direct Mail Program for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) See HERE                  Update: Biometric Changes For Re-entry Permits - Effective March 5, 2008 - See HERE                  New Filing Instructions Form I-130 Effective Immediately - USCIS Update January 18, 2008 - See HERE                  HUGE!! Naturalization Delay Ruling - February 8, 2008... See HERE                  Receipt Delays - Questions and Answers from USCIS - Updated February 16, 2008... See HERE                  How Is It Working For You? The CIS Ombudsman’s Community Call-In Teleconference Series - Upcoming Teleconferences See HERE                  Visa Fee Increase Effective January 1, 2008 - See HERE                  Resubmission After Erroneous Rejection for Improper Fees - How to? See HERE                  One to watch - Bill introduced Jan 4, 2007 - H.R. 78: American Child Support Enforcement Immigration Act of 2006. Read more HERE                
Family Based Immigration Forums
Tax transcripts from the IRS are fast, free and available with a simple phonecall. They are also preferred for immigration submissions.
Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040 and order multiple years with one call.

Please click the green todays tip button to read all our tips for the petition, visa, and immigration processes

Welcome to the Family Based Immigration Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to all our features. By joining our friendly, free community you will have access to post questions, share immigration experiences, as well as access to many other features such as the Search function, recent posts, chat, etc. We are a community built on experiences, so please share yours so others can benefit from them now and in the future. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today by Registering here.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NOTICE TO THOSE REGISTERING ONLY TO SPAM AND/OR ADD LINKS: Whilst I understand the need for links to your websites, please don't waste your time and energy here. This website is set up so there is nowhere to place links in profiles. Members must also have a designated amount of posts before being able to use signatures or the private msg or email system, so you can't use those either for your links. Spam posts are removed immediately. We run a tight ship :)

Downloads & Example Forms Guides & Flowcharts What Is...? Sample Documents Citizenship Tools
Go Back   Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card
Forgotten your Password?
Register Mark Forums Read

Phone cards with the best rates and quality

Keep Green Card after 2 Years Out?

Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Display Modes
Old 02-11-09, 03:50 AM   #1
trekker786trekker786 is offline
Star Member
trekker786's Avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Residence: Pakistan
Gender: Male
Consulate: Islamabad
Filed for: IV

Filed with: VSC
Posts: 208

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 81
Thumbs Up 130 Times in 71 Posts
Is is possible to live out of US for more than 2 years after getting GC? If some one with GC remains out of US for more than 2 years without prior permission, can he revive his GC? or re-entry to US.
  Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-09, 11:33 AM   #2
mixchelmixchel is offline
Diamond Member
mixchel's Avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Residence: usa
Gender: Female
Consulate: none
Filed for: Other

Filed with: N/A
Posts: 3,359

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 479
Thumbs Up 1,457 Times in 987 Posts
There is a re-entry permit available if you file form I-131 before you leave the US. It is valid for 2 years, somewhat protecting your US PR status.

Maintaining your status while out of the country is very complex. Your questions are really complex!
I will just tell you what one of the top abandonment attorneys frequently says. You can lose your PR status with one day out of the US and you could keep it with years out of the US.
There is no one-size answer to your questions.
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following Users Agree with this post and/or Say Thank You to mixchel For This Useful Post:
trekker786 (02-12-09)
Old 02-11-09, 11:37 AM   #3
mary_mj4mjmary_mj4mj is offline
Platinum Member
mary_mj4mj's Avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Residence: USA
Gender: Female
Consulate: N/A
Filed for: Other

Filed with: TSC
Posts: 1,697

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 759
Thumbs Up 817 Times in 522 Posts
A green card holder is not supposed to stay that long out of the USA. It is like abandonment. If you stay out too long it can cause problems.

Abandoning Your Green Card Status

A common problem faced by permanent residents is maintaining their status when they are outside the US for extended periods of time. You need to be extremely careful about losing your green card as a result of being outside the US for too long. The article I have written at http://www.visalaw.com/01jan4/12jan401.html will tell you more about this subject and what you can do to prevent problems.


I think if you are going to be out one year you need to apply for a reentry premit before your can reenter.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B5.pdf Reentry Permit
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mary_mj4mj For This Useful Post:
mixchel (02-11-09), trekker786 (02-12-09)

  Family Based Immigration Forums > STAGE 4 - ARRIVING IN AMERICA > Adjustment of Status - Green Card

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1892 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Conditions - CR/Green Card/AoS Confusion Khalid17 Removing Conditions 10 04-03-09 04:25 PM
Green Card Approved calmary11 Adjustment of Status - Green Card 9 12-29-08 12:30 PM
Green Card - Lost green card (I think) GrenadianCrix Adjustment of Status - Green Card 13 08-22-08 11:54 AM
Green Card - Woo Hoo Green Card Received KitKat Adjustment of Status - Green Card 10 06-09-08 01:09 PM
Green Card - How long does it take for an F-1 to get the green card after marriage? asianguy Adjustment of Status - Green Card 1 06-17-07 01:24 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Information, images and content contained within this site is Copyright © 2007-2008 familybasedimmigration.com and/or the author and may not be reproduced without permission from familybasedimmigration.com and/or the author.