Effective November 23rd 2010 - USCIS Fee Increases and Fee Reductions. - Please see HERE                  Fact Sheet - New USCIS.gov Features Improve Customer Service - Please see HERE                  Current - Revised Filing Instructions for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative - Please see HERE                  Beginning Aug. 3, 2010 - Change of Filing Location for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) - Please see HERE                  June 2010 - USCIS Seeks Public Comment on Proposal to Adjust Fees for Immigration Benefits: Fact Sheet - Please see HERE and also Questions & Answers                  Audio CD of the Redesigned U.S. Naturalization Test - Please see Citizenship Tools                  Effective Jan. 22, 2009 - USCIS Revised Direct Mail Program for the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) See HERE                  Update: Biometric Changes For Re-entry Permits - Effective March 5, 2008 - See HERE                  New Filing Instructions Form I-130 Effective Immediately - USCIS Update January 18, 2008 - See HERE                  HUGE!! Naturalization Delay Ruling - February 8, 2008... See HERE                  Receipt Delays - Questions and Answers from USCIS - Updated February 16, 2008... See HERE                  How Is It Working For You? The CIS Ombudsman’s Community Call-In Teleconference Series - Upcoming Teleconferences See HERE                  Visa Fee Increase Effective January 1, 2008 - See HERE                  Resubmission After Erroneous Rejection for Improper Fees - How to? See HERE                  One to watch - Bill introduced Jan 4, 2007 - H.R. 78: American Child Support Enforcement Immigration Act of 2006. Read more HERE                
Family Based Immigration Forums
Tax transcripts from the IRS are fast, free and available with a simple phonecall. They are also preferred for immigration submissions.
Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040 and order multiple years with one call.

Please click the green todays tip button to read all our tips for the petition, visa, and immigration processes

Welcome to the Family Based Immigration Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to all our features. By joining our friendly, free community you will have access to post questions, share immigration experiences, as well as access to many other features such as the Search function, recent posts, chat, etc. We are a community built on experiences, so please share yours so others can benefit from them now and in the future. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today by Registering here.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NOTICE TO THOSE REGISTERING ONLY TO SPAM AND/OR ADD LINKS: Whilst I understand the need for links to your websites, please don't waste your time and energy here. This website is set up so there is nowhere to place links in profiles. Members must also have a designated amount of posts before being able to use signatures or the private msg or email system, so you can't use those either for your links. Spam posts are removed immediately. We run a tight ship :)

Downloads & Example Forms Guides & Flowcharts What Is...? Sample Documents Citizenship Tools
Go Back   Family Based Immigration Forums > I-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT > I-864 Affidavit of Support
Forgotten your Password?
Register Mark Forums Read

Phone cards with the best rates and quality

I-864 at NVC - I have to submit separate I-864s. Doesn't this double my HOUSEHOLD size?

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Old 04-07-10, 01:23 PM   #1

Residence: united states
Consulate: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Filed for: AOS / I-130

Filed with: NBC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 0
Thumbs Up 0 Times in 0 Posts
I-864 at NVC - I have to submit separate I-864s. Doesn't this double my HOUSEHOLD size?

I have (3) questions, at the bottom. I just felt that a little backgroud information may be helpful to anyone who can provide me with answers.

**BACKGROUND:
I am petitioning for both of my parents currently living in Mexico.

I paid for the AOS fees and received a form to change the mailing address for my parents. It was strongly advised to do this. I was then hit for a $400 invoice for ach of my parents - I wished I had been warned it was going to cost that much. Anyway, I have paid that.

The next step I was told was to print the cover page and mail in a completed I-864 (Affidavit of Support). The cover "page" I received is a PDF file with (2) pages, each one containing the cover page for each of my parents.

QUESTION 1- Going through the I-864 instructions, it seems that I need to file SEPARATE forms - one for each of my parents. Do I have to mail these in separate envelopes, or can I combine the two completed forms into one larger enverlope?

QUESTION 2- The form asks to size my household, including the intended immigrant. The first I-864 form would indicate my household is 4 + mom = 5. The second I-864 form would show my household is 4 + dad = 5. Will the immigration officer recognize that the we're looking at 5 + mom + dad = 7, instead of 5 + 5 = 10? Am I missing something? Am I right in that I do have to file two separate I-864?

QUESTION 3- The instructions indicate that we (my husband and I) need to provide the tax return for the most recent year (2009). It also indicates that we have the OPTION of sending tax returns for the two years prior to that, IF WE FEEL IT HELPS MAKE OUR CASE STRONGER. I don't have my W2s for 2008 and I don't want to wait to get copies. I am well above the 125% of porverty line (for 7 people). Will I have a "weaker" case if I only send in the 2009 tax return? By the way, I assume I can send the tax return I downloaded from TurboTax. Is that acceptable?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 04-07-10, 02:13 PM   #2
Diamond Member

Residence: USA
Consulate: N/A
Filed for: Naturalization
Preference: N/A
Priority Date: N/A
Filed with: N/A

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 3,370
Thumbs Up 3,975 Times in 3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos-1974 View Post
I have (3) questions, at the bottom. I just felt that a little backgroud information may be helpful to anyone who can provide me with answers.

**BACKGROUND:
I am petitioning for both of my parents currently living in Mexico.

I paid for the AOS fees and received a form to change the mailing address for my parents. It was strongly advised to do this. I was then hit for a $400 invoice for ach of my parents - I wished I had been warned it was going to cost that much. Anyway, I have paid that.

The next step I was told was to print the cover page and mail in a completed I-864 (Affidavit of Support). The cover "page" I received is a PDF file with (2) pages, each one containing the cover page for each of my parents.

QUESTION 1- Going through the I-864 instructions, it seems that I need to file SEPARATE forms - one for each of my parents. Do I have to mail these in separate envelopes, or can I combine the two completed forms into one larger enverlope?

QUESTION 2- The form asks to size my household, including the intended immigrant. The first I-864 form would indicate my household is 4 + mom = 5. The second I-864 form would show my household is 4 + dad = 5. Will the immigration officer recognize that the we're looking at 5 + mom + dad = 7, instead of 5 + 5 = 10? Am I missing something? Am I right in that I do have to file two separate I-864?

QUESTION 3- The instructions indicate that we (my husband and I) need to provide the tax return for the most recent year (2009). It also indicates that we have the OPTION of sending tax returns for the two years prior to that, IF WE FEEL IT HELPS MAKE OUR CASE STRONGER. I don't have my W2s for 2008 and I don't want to wait to get copies. I am well above the 125% of porverty line (for 7 people). Will I have a "weaker" case if I only send in the 2009 tax return? By the way, I assume I can send the tax return I downloaded from TurboTax. Is that acceptable?
Your profile information says that your parents are applying for adjustment of status, but your post indicates that your parents are applying for immigrant visas. Which is it?

The I-864 instructions clearly explain how many I-864s you need to submit when you have more than one intending immigrant.

Your household (of 4) + mom + dad = 6, not 7.

When people submit only their 1 most recent tax return it's not unusual for them to be asked to submit the next 2 most recent years as well.

Better to submit tax transcripts, available at no cost from the IRS.

Raven
Chief Inspector, Profile Police
(who does not respond to PMs)
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Noorah101 (04-07-10), vietnamkid (04-07-10)

Old 04-07-10, 03:32 PM   #3

Residence: united states
Consulate: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Filed for: AOS / I-130

Filed with: NBC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 0
Thumbs Up 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I registered this morning. There may be an error in the profile (this is my first post). I am not sure how to change my profile. If you can point out how to update my profile, I would appreaciate it.

I am not applying for an adjustment of statuts for my parents, I am applying for my parents' visas (I-130 approved, now at the NVC stage).

Yes. Thanks for pointing out my typo regarding. The final tally for my household would be 4 + mom + dad = 6, and not the 7 shown.

I still have a question about this. I think it is clear that I have submit (2) I-864 forms. Is there any reference made to the fact that there is a second (and related) I-864? Again, if I ignore the fact there is another I-864 while filling out each form, I think it is straight forward. Is this the right apporach?

I will submit my 1040s for the last (3) years as you suggest. You're suggesting IRS transcripts, are my own 1040 copies plus W2s not recognized by the NVC? Do you recommend sending in pay stubs as well?
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 04-07-10, 03:56 PM   #4
Diamond Member

Consulate: Ankara
Filed for: K-1

Filed with: CSC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 820
Thumbs Up 1,960 Times in 1,376 Posts
Quote:
I still have a question about this. I think it is clear that I have submit (2) I-864 forms. Is there any reference made to the fact that there is a second (and related) I-864? Again, if I ignore the fact there is another I-864 while filling out each form, I think it is straight forward. Is this the right apporach?
It's true that you need an I-864 for each person immigrating. Isn't there a place on the I-864 asking if there is anyone else being sponsored? That's where you'd list the other parent. You'd do that on each I-864, so they will know who is who on the I-864. For example, on the I-864 for your mom, you'll say your own household is 4, plus 1 for your mom (the intending immigrant), plus 1 for your dad (as other people you are sponsoring, not listed on this I-864).

Quote:
I will submit my 1040s for the last (3) years as you suggest. You're suggesting IRS transcripts, are my own 1040 copies plus W2s not recognized by the NVC? Do you recommend sending in pay stubs as well?

A photocopy of your entire tax return (not just the 1040, but all other Schedules and attachments as well) plus your W-2 or 1099's are acceptable. Tax transcripts are more official, are more concise, use less paper, and don't require the W-2 or 1099 backup.

You do not need to send pay stubs.

Rene
  Reply With Quote Top

Old 04-07-10, 04:24 PM   #5
Diamond Member

Consulate: N/A
Filed for: Naturalization
Preference: N/A
Priority Date: N/A
Filed with: N/A

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 3,370
Thumbs Up 3,975 Times in 3,008 Posts
Quote:
I registered this morning. There may be an error in the profile (this is my first post). I am not sure how to change my profile. If you can point out how to update my profile, I would appreaciate it.
Look for the 'User CP' link at the left side of the 2nd blue bar at the top of your screen.

Quote:
I am not applying for an adjustment of statuts for my parents, I am applying for my parents' visas (I-130 approved, now at the NVC stage).
Your parents are applying for their visas, with your help. A subtle distinction, perhaps, but sometimes having the right point of view brings the fuzzy into focus.

Quote:
I think you understand correctly. What I would do is start with an I-864 and fill out only the information that will be identical for both parents, then photocopy the partially completed I-864. Then I'd finish the 1st I-864 for one parent and finish the 2nd I-864 for the other parent. Then sign them both.

Quote:
I did not suggest submitting 1040s for the last three years. I suggested submitting tax returns or, preferably, IRS generated tax transcripts. As Rene points out, for most people a tax return consists of more than a 1040, sometimes a lot more.

Whether you submit 1 year or 3 years is your decision, I merely passed on to you what I often see reported so that you can consider it in making your decision.

I do recommend including a few of your most recent pay stubs, respectfully disagreeing with Rene on this point. You need to document current income, not only past income. Regretably, more than a few people who had sufficient income in 2009 and before have no income today (other than state unemployment compensation).

Raven
Chief Inspector, Profile Police
(who does not respond to PMs)
  Reply With Quote Top
The Following Users Agree with this post and/or Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Noorah101 (04-07-10)

Old 04-07-10, 05:45 PM   #6
Diamond Member

Consulate: Ankara
Filed for: K-1

Filed with: CSC

Agree with Post or To Say Thank You: 820
Thumbs Up 1,960 Times in 1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I do recommend including a few of your most recent pay stubs, respectfully disagreeing with Rene on this point. You need to document current income, not only past income. Regretably, more than a few people who had sufficient income in 2009 and before have no income today (other than state unemployment compensation).

My aplogies. I do indeed agree with Raven on this point. I was thinking solely in terms of tax returns.

Yes, along with the I-864 and tax returns, you need to show proof of your current employment, which can be shown by a few recent pay stubs and a letter from your employer stating your position, your income, how long you've been with this company, and that the position is a permanent one.

Rene
  Reply With Quote Top

Family Based Immigration Forums > I-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT > I-864 Affidavit of Support

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1473 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.